Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Sharpe’s New Jackets (Harper)

I started reading Bernard Cornwell’s novels in the Summer of 2001 – it was the end of my first year at university, and I picked up Harlequin. Being the author-obsessive that I was at the time (I would find an established author, read everything he/she wrote), I picked up Sharpe’s Tiger. And was hooked. I proceeded to read every Sharpe book that was published at the time and, after moving there for a year, even ordered them to Japan. (Oh, the postage charge!)

Harper have just re-released the entire series with some very nice, vintage-look jackets. As I’m probably not going to be re-reading them and reviewing them any time soon, I thought I would nevertheless share some of the new covers.

Cornwell-S2012-#1-3

The Sharpe Series (Chronologically):

Sharpe’s Tiger

Sharpe’s Triumph

Sharpe’s Fortress

Sharpe’s Trafalgar

Sharpe’s Prey

Sharpe’s Rifles

Cornwell-S2012-#4-6

Sharpe’s Havoc

Sharpe’s Eagle

Sharpe’s Gold

Sharpe’s Escape

Cornwell-S2012-#7-10

Sharpe’s Fury

Sharpe’s Battle

Sharpe’s Company

Sharpe’s Sword

Cornwell-S2012-#11-14

Sharpe’s Skirmish (short story)

Sharpe’s Enemy

Sharpe’s Honour

Sharpe’s Regiment

Sharpe’s Christmas (two short stories)

Sharpe’s Siege

Cornwell-S2012-#16-19

Sharpe’s Revenge

Sharpe’s Waterloo

Sharpe’s Ransom

Sharpe’s Devil

Cornwell-S2012-#20-23

If you have never read the series, and own a Kindle, Sharpe’s Tiger is only £1.99 on Amazon UK. If you have any interest in historical fiction, then I strongly recommend you give the series a try.

[And, please, excuse the high level of improbability that a single man would participate in the sheer number of battles Richard Sharpe finds himself in…]

6 comments:

  1. I've got a couple with the new jackets, and they are simply lovely, suit the series well and look spiffy next to one another on my shelf. There is nothing I enjoy more than uniformity on the spines of my books.

    I'm only about 4 books into Sharpe, but I'm taking my time with them as Cornwell's books always are an enjoyment, and I use them when I get in reading slumps to get me out of said slumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An excellent strategy. I burned my way through them like crazy - at the time, I was methodically going through authors' backlists to catch up, when I found one I enjoyed. I think this followed Anne Rice and the Star Wars series, and was followed by James Patterson's Alex Cross novels.

      And I, too, enjoy a uniformly-jacketed display on my bookshelf.

      Delete
  2. Noooo...why couldn't they have done this with the original covers to begin with? *sniff* I own them all and I go to recollect them with the vintage covers it's going to cost me a small fortune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is indeed a pickle. One I share with you. I really like this design - far more than the two or three designs my own copies fall into.

      Delete
    2. Agonizing over the decision is probably going to drive me bonkers. Errr....more...bonkers.

      Delete